Thursday, October 30, 2014

World War One in Religious Studies

With the centenary of World War One being commemorated this year, as a school we have been asked to teach lessons for a week which help further the understanding of the pupils into the war. We have been encouraged to fit this to our subject. Being a Religious Studies teacher this isn’t totally straightforward so I have been racking my brain over what would work. I finally sent my list of suggestions to the deputy head last night with what I am planning. I will of course be making good use of web tools.

  • Year 6 will be looking at the lives of Jewish people in the First World War.

I have found some superb explanations of the accounts of Jewish soldiers on my learning. One of them is about Hyman Rutstein who kept his tefillin with him at all times and there are suggestions for questions to use in discussions which would help pupils to explore his having this would have meant to him. I also hope we will use resources such as the Google Cultural Institute to help us explore content online about the lives of Jewish soliders. I was very excited to see that the POLIN Museum of Polish History is now available on Google Street View.

  • Year 7 & 8 will look at the cost of war.

I want us to look at the scale of the war, and look at Aquinas’ Just War theory to see if the war fits these requirements. As well as watching moving war footage we will look at the idea of trench warfare. In order to do this I’m planning to use a Google Earth Hack which is an overlay of Battle of Verdun. I think this will help to show the true cost of the war.

I am also hoping to find some letters written from the perspective of an army padre but haven't been successful yet. How about you? Is your school doing anything in November? Have you got any great suggestions of resources?

No comments:

Post a Comment