Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Get creative with quizzes

I teach a lot of boys.

One thing which I have learnt about boys is that they love a bit of competition. In all honesty I think love is a bit of an understatement. They love to get one up on their friend. When I first started teaching this meant group quizzes with them putting their hands up, which them moved to using small whiteboards and now I am all about the web software. Why do I think this is better you might ask? Well the reason is that they are engaged. They are so focused on getting the answer right that they don’t realize that I am basically giving them a test. Often you can have the data of the results emailed to you so it’s easy to find out if there is a topic that you need to go over. Final reason is that they love it! kahoot image" title=

The newest one I have found is Kahoot. This is very much similar to Socrative and allows you to make a multiple choice quiz. The questions come up on the interactive whiteboard and the options for the answers come up on their tablets. There are different coloured boxes to represent the different answer options. The players pick the right coloured box for the corresponding answer. They then find out if they got the answer right or wrong. After everyone has answered, the correct answer is revealed and you can see how many people chose each different option. Then, and this was our favourite bit, there is a leader board of the top five players. This is judged on speed and getting the correct answer.

At the end you can download the information about how each child answered. This meant I could go over some aspects of the quiz they got wrong with them.

I really recommend this. The best thing to me was that the whole class wanted to repeat the quiz and started asking when we would be using it again. That’s a win from me.

Let me know if you try it out, and if you know of any other great quiz software available on the web.

No comments:

Post a Comment