Wednesday, November 12, 2014

The best Chrome Extensions for teachers.

So I totally do not want to be all over dramatic. But I do feel chrome is like, utterly fantastic. It still amazes me that I can have all these awesome extensions in my toolbar, some of which I use several times a day. Here are a few my life is all te better for: This allows you to pick any colour on a webpage and find out the colour value. If you are then designing a webpage, or social media banner you can use consistent colours. Instead of endlessly trying to match the colour by pressing at the right point on the colour circle, you can get the precise one quickly and easily. I showed this to a friend on Saturday who was designing a web banner to match her book cover and she said it was revolutionary.

With this you can cut open your tabs. Then the two tabs will appear next to each other on the screen. I find this so useful in class when we might be looking at a bible passage and I also want to be completing a quiz saved on a webpage. Or I might want to refer to two webpages at the same time.

After you have finished with the tabs, use this extension to glue the webpages back together again.

This saves any webpage you have been looking at to google drive. When I am discussing big ethical issues with my scholarship class such as euthanasia or the just war theory we will look at websites together and then anything good can be saved to the shared Google Drive folder and they can refer back to it when completing essays and preps for me.

I use the webpage Padlet a lot in my classroom in order to collate the opinions of my students. With this extension I can easily see the names of all of my walls and quickly make a new one for the class without having to go to the full page and sign in.

With this I can save any website as a pdf. Super useful if I want to print off easily what is stored on a whole page. Maybe I want them to refer to the stickies we made on Linoit in their homework. Well with this I can do that easily. The PDF quickly downloads to my computer and I can save it on my computer and print it out for them or save it to the VLE. .

This allows you to just save one section of your webpage. So if there was a particularly useful paragraph in an article I was reading on an ethical issue I could snip it and save it to my snippets to print off for class later. So so much easier than saving the whole thing and then cutting out the best bit manually with scissors. I basically don’t even use scissors anymore. Ha.

Well I am sure there are a lot more super cool chrome apps that I do not even know about. Would love to hear which ones you find super useful.

And just a final picture, here are all the chrome extensions I have on my computer in all their beautiful glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment