Wednesday, November 5, 2014

QR Codes

It has been really fun coming back from half-term as I feel really pumped about the next six weeks and every new innovative activity I can try in the classroom. Over the holidays we had new apps deployed to all our iPads and I am very excited about trying them out. One of the ones I asked for was QR codes. Today while planning my lessons I have been using it.

I love the idea that you could allow the children to have a go at work first, before they look for assistance or have a look at a practice question which I have written for them. I have made one worksheet where I have asked them to brainstorm ideas about how it might feel to be a Reform or Orthodox Jew and then when they have written as many words as possible they can look at a picture to give them some more ideas. Obviously I could have put the picture on the worksheet to begin with, but I hope this way they will have a chance to give it a go themselves. The QR code either gives help, or allows them to check their work is good. A similiar use I have found is in a sheet written for planning points for difficult questions. When they have finished or are stuck they can look at the perfect answer I have written.

When they scan the code they will be taken here

What I really like about using QR codes is the layers they can add to worksheets and they way they allow for more independence from the learners. But they also provide some scaffalding for those who are struggling to check their work and see if they are including the right kinds of ideas.

I'm going to bring it out in a lesson tomorrow so I will let you know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment